Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Response to "Future Shock"

When Toffler came to his conclusion about techonology, it was a different time. In the 1970s, we as a nation did not have the kind of grasp on technology that we do today. Toffler's world was not one of 24 hour news channels and the internet. These things have expanded and grown and become something that few in the 1970s could have envisioned. When Toffler wrote his book, the technology we are used to today was only at its beginning, and I imagine that was quite scary. I have grown up with these tools and technology, and to me they are common place. I am not stressed by these things. Most technology today has a way in which it can be made better, more efficient, and I look forward to seeing what they can do with technology in the future. I think my generation is one that welcomes progress and can roll with technology because we have gotten so used to it in our lives.
When it comes to the news, there is so much to see and hear. News is being thrown at us from all directions. I think this gives people the opportunity to pick and choose their information better than they have ever been able to before, and there is definitely no shortage of news to choose from. However, there are downsides to this. In my opinion, the quality of the news has gone down a bit. And with all of the stories being thrown at us, I think sometimes people learn to drown out news, and it may cause them to miss important facts.
I do see significance to Toffler's theory, and on some aspects I agree, but I think that Toffler's theory had much more relevance to his generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment