Monday, March 23, 2009

New Generation

I don’t think that there is anything with local newspapers, but I’m not all that surprised that the younger generation doesn’t seem to have a use for it. With the rise in technology and with interesting events happening all over the world, I think that the younger generation has traded local events with world and national events. Most civic life isn’t interesting to a generation that wants the information before it even happens. I think the appetite for knowledge of all kinds in insatiable for the younger generation and it’s become easier to receive that information by other means. If my local paper can email updates to my Blackberry just as the Washington Post does then maybe I’ll read it, but it’s just easier to sit down with and watch WIS for local events while I also read my online papers and Twitter from a phone. Reading a paper takes time and concentration, and I’m afraid that maybe the younger generation doesn’t want to make that time.
I do believe that if the civic papers want to gain youth readership that they should cater to that audience. There can be a way to include information that everyone should want to read, and I think that the younger generation is somewhat being ignored and that the internet has picked up on that and has decided to encroach on this market. Journalists need to find a way to make it work. They need to find whatever it is that will pull us in and make us want to read that paper. I also think that as new, younger interns and journalists enter the field that we will see a shift in the content of local papers. As we bring new ideas and information we will also bring a new readership along with us. But mostly it’s important for newspapers to keep up with the way we receive our information.

No comments:

Post a Comment